Thursday, November 10, 2005

Cake


Since I was young, I love cakes so much, especially “Pandan” flavour sponge and banana cakes. However, I hardly had cakes during my childhood, as cakes are more expensive than bread. Yet, I still find bread is more economical. So, 80% of my daily breakfast is with bread and butter/ margarine.

I never made cake on my own until I come to the UK this year. The first cake that I baked was banana cake and it was learned from my Japanese housemate. Erm…perhaps I would have learnt more cakes from her, if she is still with us. Unfortunately, she had left us and returned to Japan for good. Well, I wish her business is doing well.
My banana cakes didn’t form well in the first few rounds. So, I thought of blaming our old oven’s heating element and also, without having a weighing scale. Initially, I got my measurement by leveling the packaging. However, the results still remained unchanged even I’ve bought a scales and fine-tuned the oven temperature several times. Didn’t know what went wrong till I spotted there was substantial discrepancy on the banana cake ingredient ratio that printed on the flour packaging against my recipe. Thus, I tried with the new recipe and the cake formed perfectly well thereafter. Here, I reckon need not to mention about the recipe and instruction, as they can be found easily from any search engine, if you want.

Since then, I am delighted by knowing to make my favourite banana cake, as I can have more cake without worrying about its cost. Other than banana cake, I know to make Chocolate cake, which is 靖然 favourite. Of course, she knows to bake both cakes as well. Just knew that, I have a nephew, who loves cake so much and caused her mum to source for the bakery processor from the UK. Perhaps, most of the kids love cake.

My next mission is to learn sponge cake. Yum..Yum.